Monday, October 11, 2010

Hutchinson Family - Researching the Unknown

Been spending the past couple years working on my family genealogy which in itself has been a fun and very interesting experience.  I've had a lot very cooperative family members not afraid to hide what they know or be shy about what they know whenever I've had questions.

My mom's side of the family, the Levine's, had been the focus of my research for the most part because of the family reunion we had this past August.  Now that that has come and gone I can focus more on my dad's side of the family, the Hutchinson's which personally I find more interesting since so much is not known to me.

 My grandparent's Kenneth Sr. & Eunice Hutchinson - Probably my favorite two photos of them together.

It's no secret growing up I've been closer to my mom's side of the family, I think that comes from the fact that my dad's parents split before my parent's married; not only that my grandfather died also before my parents married. I knew very little of my grandmother as she passed away a month before I turned two.  Oddly enough though the oldest memory I have of anything, which I find surprising that I actually remember, is that of my grandmother (dad's mom).

I don't know how old I was but I remember being over at her house, I remember that something happened and an ambulance had to be called and she was taken to the hospital.  Vaguely I remember my mom taking me out into the backyard while this was all happening.

This is the last picture, and one of only a couple, I have of my grandmother and I, taken while she was in hospice in 1980 at St John's:


I wish I knew more about my grandfather, Kenneth Sr., but information is really sparse. My dad doesn't talk much about it; I know it has to do with his dad leaving his mom I've never pressed it. I do know he served in WWII in the Marine's and attained the rank of Corporal.  He also took part in the Battle of Guadalcanal, proficient as a mechanic and mortar gunner.

I've taken it as a hobby of sorts to stop by the graveyards nearby that have my family members that nobody visits anymore, I tend to frequent my grandmother's and grandfather's the most, I'm still not sure why but I do.


It had been years since my grandmother had flowers and I doubt my grandfather had them since his burial so thought it would be nice...

My dad has all of my grandfather's war medals, patches, and his rings as well as his flag from his burial.  When I was younger I remember my sister and I going through the things looking at them.  It's been years since I've actually sat down and looked at them, though when my dad was digging out old photos for me I did see them briefly.

One of these day's I'm going to have to pick the brains of my dad's sisters, maybe they can cough of more information that my dad hasn't been able to provide. On that note though I can't thank my aunt Barb enough for all the photos she has borrowed to me of the family; being the oldest she accumulated most of the old photos, all of which I had never seen.

Kenneth Sr. had three brother's and one sister; his sister died due to a septic abortion when she was in her mid 20's.  Of all the cemeteries I've traveled to and found, the one she's buried at is by far the most interesting.  A small local cemetery in Afton where of the ten to twelve graves there all but one I know of are related to me but that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment