Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Hutchinson Family - The Great Uncles and Aunt

Not only did I not know my grandfather, his three brothers and sister were an equal mystery to me until recently.  Kenneth Sr. was one of five kids to my great grandparents Ezra and Edna Hutchinson.  Truth be told, I never knew my grandfather had a sister, nobody ever said anything, it was by chance I stumbled upon some information while doing the family tree that the name Violet popped up.  Sure enough she existed and upon further digging my dad actually had two pictures with her and her brothers in it when they were all kids.

L to R: Kenneth, Carson, Clyde, Violet, and Charles Hutchinson

Carson, I'm thinking was the closest to my grandfather, they are in a lot of pictures together, were both Marines and Carson married one of my grandmother's cousins. Last year when I saw my aunt Judy she told me that it was rumored that Carson had something to do with the mafia, probably a joke but it sure gives one something to talk about.  He died fairly young and his wife Marjorie and him never had any children.  Marjorie actually lived the longest of any of the Hutchinson's from that generation, passing away back in 2008.  Until recently I complete forgot that I had met her a few times when she was over at my aunt Barb's house for family functions.  How I wish I was more in tune with who was who in the family back then, the questions I would have for her would be endless.

Carson Esra Hutchinson

Clyde, probably the toughest one to track information down on.  It was my understand that he married twice in his years to a Jeane and Eleanor however when I was able to track down my dad's cousin, one of Clyde's daughters, I found out that he was actually married three times, the third being Constance.  Between Clyde and his wives they had four kids, all of which are still alive, Dawn, Colleen, Violet, and Ronnie. I've spoken with Dawn and she said that Violet (Vi) was still around I think she said she was in a nursing home or some other form of a care facility.  She also said that Ronnie was still alive as well but wasn't in contact with them much, I believe he was nearing 80 years old if not there yet.  Colleen finally is Dawn's sister is alive and well up north with her family, I haven't spoken to her yet.  Aside from all that I don't know much, Dawn and I tentatively agreed we'd like to met and exchange stories, pictures, and she was willing to answer any question I'd have for her if she could but we haven't set a date yet.

Violet, one of my favorite Hutchinson family members to dig up information on, it seems the less anyone knows the more exciting it is to research.  Violet was the only daughter Ezra and Edna had, and she died in her 20's.  The only clue I was able to find in regard to what happened was her Death Certificate which says she died from a septic abortion. Septic abortion is a form of a miscarriage that is linked to uterien infection which can spread to the rest of the body.  Septic abortion used to be the leading cause of maternal death in the world. Seeing as the child she was carrying never made it full term I don't believe official record exists documenting the unborn or her father. However, with that said when visiting Violet's grave in Afton there's a small cross right next to her grave that says "Baby Marie" on it.  I fully believe that this is her unborn child, but I have no proof or means to back that up other than it's the only thing that makes sense.


 Violet and "Baby Marie" graves in Fahlstrom Cemetery in Afton

Charles was the eldest of the Hutchinson kids back in the day he was in the Navy and married once to Bernadine.  According to his Death Certificate he's listed as divorced from Bernadine but after finally finding Bernadine's information she died after Charles and is still listed as married to him, perhaps a technicality.  I don't believe they were married when he died, he's buried at Fort Snelling National Cemetery while she's up north in a smaller town.  They never had any kids that I'm aware of.  Aside from that there's not much to tell about him.  While Carson was closest to my grandfather I get the feeling that Charlie was pretty close as well to them while Clyde was someone of the least connected of the brothers; I could be wrong about that though.

Charles Alfred Hutchinson

Ezra and his family moved around quite a bit in the years they were around originating from Wisconsin, living in Canada for at least a year before going to South Dakota. After a few years in South Dakota, Aberdeen more specifically they moved to Minnesota.  My grandfather was born in Bejou, Minnesota which according to census records says in 2000 there was only a population of 94.  I'm really curious as to our families ties to that area as I've found two or three individuals that are buried up there further back in the family tree.  The car trip from the Twin Cities is about 5 hours and I'm not quite ready to make that journey yet...

L to R: Clyde, Carson, Ezra, Kenneth Sr., and Charles Hutchinson

No comments:

Post a Comment